:: you are here: home > sport > gaa > 2006-09-18= > 
About the Area
Parish Info
Clubs / Groups
Contact Info

GAA News - Monday 18 Sep 2006

Tinryland U16 Footballers maintain their unbeaten record to lift Co. (A) title

Championship favourites Tinryland continued their winning streak when they defeated O’Hanrahans in the Co. final at a wet Dr. Cullen Park on Monday 4th September. Unbeaten since their U12 days Tinryland overcame a shaky start to run out comfortable winners against a good “Blues” team that never gave up trying until the final whistle.
In a game well handled by referee Ollie Hynes Tinryland got off to the best possible start when corner forward Ciaran Williamson who was excellent throughout crashed a goal soccer style past “Blues” keeper Colvin Kehoe. In a low scoring opening quarter Tinryland only managed one further score when Cormac Walshe pointed in the 13th minute while O’Hanrahans kept in touch with two points from James White. In the 20th minute Tinryland had the ball in the “Blues” net when corner forward Stephen Reilly got on the end of a great five man move and when Walshe pointed again in the 23rd minute Tinryland looked to be in the driving seat. O’Hanrahans were not finished yet however and in the 25th minute
full forward Jeff Moran deflected the ball past Tinryland goalie Lee Buggle to leave only 3 points separating the sides. After surviving more O’Hanrahan’s pressure Tinryland scored another goal on the stroke of half time when another superb move ended with Darren Murphy crashing the ball to the net to leave Tinryland ahead by 6 points when referee Hynes sounded the half time whistle after 3 minutes of stoppage time. The second half began in an almost exact repeat of the beginning of the first half as Ciaran Williamson scored a goal out of the top drawer to leave the scoreline 4-2 to 1-2 after two minutes. Further points from wing forward Matthew O’Toole and Cormac Walshe (2) in the 7th, 12th and 16th minutes left Tinryland 12 points clear with 13 minutes remaining. A further spell of “Blues” pressure resulted in further scores for the town team from Mick Thompson and Conor Murray but Tinryland had the final say with closing points from Matthew O’Toole, Alan Kirwin and Cormac Walshe to leave the final score 4-8 to 1-4. To the cheers of the large Tinryland support Tinryland captain Conor Byrne lifted the U16 cup aloft and there was further joy in the camp when corner back Joey Ryan was selected as man of the match after a great display. All the Tinryland players gave of their best in the difficult conditions with goalie Lee Buggle getting great protection from the full back line of Luke Doyle, James Dempsey and man of the match Joey Ryan. The half back line were excellent throughout with David O’Shea having one of his best games in a Tinryland jersey ably supported by centre back Ryan Curran and speedy wing back Michael Mullen. At midfield Alan Kirwin and Conor Byrne shaded matters over a very good “Blues” pairing of Jimmy White and Mick Thompson while the half forward line worked tirelessly throughout with Cormac Walshe, Matthew O’Toole and Padraic Whelan giving the “Blues” defence a torrid time. The Tinryland full forward trio of Ciaran Williamson, Darren Murphy and Stephen Reilly was perhaps the best line on the field and any time they received quality direct ball in the difficult conditions they punished the O’Hanrahans. The full forward line was responsible for all four goals with centre forward Cormac Walshe and wing forward Matthew O’Toole scoring six points between them. Tinryland introduced 4 subs in the 2nd half Paddy Kelly, Darren Hanlon, Robbie Power and Brian Farrell while the rest of the panel was as follows Jeff Sutton, Kevin Barrett, Brian Deane, Colm Kennedy, Evan Brennan, John Farrell, Killian Townsend. Last weeks game brought the curtain down on the Juvenile championship season and Tinryland can be well satisfied having reaches all 3 major (A) championship finals in addition to winning the U10 Maurice Nolan (B) final. Well done to all in Tinryland juvenile G.F.C. for a job well done.


Tinryland will face holders Eire Og in the quarterfinals of the Michael Lyng Carlow SFC following last Sunday’s draw.
On Sunday, Tinryland lost out by 1-10 to 2-5 to Wexford team Killanerin in a Senior Challenge in Rathcrogue. Tinryland a had a good opening half and led at the interval but were completely overrun in the 2nd half by the visiting side who had a succession of scores and were worthy winners.
Wexford Star Footballer Mattie Forde was in attendance but did not feature for his club on the night.

The Minor Footballers lost out to MLR in the 1st round of the championship over the weekend. This was the first time Tinryland have exited the tournament at this stage for some years.

Milford overcome Éire Óg in JFC ‘B

Milford 1 - 12 Éire Óg 0 - 13

Milford reached the Carlow JFC ‘B’ semi-final when they defeated Éire Óg in a thrilling match at Palatine recently. Éire Óg started better and ran off into a four point lead with points from John Gilligan, Mark Corcoran (2 ) and Keelan Doyle. Milford moved Paddy Morris from wing back to midfield with sudden impact. He soloed from midfield through the heart of Éire Óg defence and slotted over the opening point for Milford. This settled Milford and for the rest of the half the game ebbed and flowed with very good scores. For Milford Ross Townsend added on 3 point, Michael McNally 2 points and Brian O’Neill 1 point. For Éire Óg Seamus Ruth added on 3 points and Mark Corcoran 1 point. This left the score at halftime Milford 0 - 7 Éire Óg 0 – 8. Éire Óg introduced the great Hughie Brennan at halftime to full forward. The second half was played at the same pace as the first with play going from end to end. Keelan Doyle got the opening point for Éire Óg with Mark Corcoran adding on three, and Seamus Ruth one. For Milford Ross Townsend added on two points, Glen Townsend one point and Michael McNally one point. With five minutes to go the score stood at Éire Óg 0 - 13 Milford 0 - 11 when Rory Delaney collected a ball in the large parallelogram and was about to shoot for goal when he was pulled by the jersey backwards, in which a penalty ensued. The penalty was taken by Ross Townsend, which was brilliantly saved by Michael Hennessy, however the rebound was slotted to the net by Ross Townsend. Jamie Cooney was sent off with three minutes remaining for an incident with Michael McNally. Ross Townsend tagged on one more point to get Milford safely into the semi-final with near neighbours Leighlinbridge

Milford Team: Mark Mulhern Lar O’Neill Alan Costello Christopher O’Neill Paddy Morris (0 -1) Kevin O’Neill Eamonn Townsend Tommy Dowling Ross Townsend (1 - 6) John Kealy Brian O’ Neill (0 - 1) Shane Nolan Glen Townsend (0 -1) Michael Mc Nally (0 - 3) Rory Delaney Subs used Peter McEvoy Sean O’Gorman and Vincent Walsh

   Not Logged In