Tinryland National School
The Fr. Cullen Memorial National School in Tinryland was established in 1932. Named after Fr. John Cullen, who died in a horseriding accident in Kilmeaney in the early 1900's, it was originally a girls and boys school and was located at the present ball alley and parish hall in the village. The school then moved to its current location in what was MIss Giltrap's Garden beside the shop in 1932. Interestingly there have been only 3 principals in the school over the past 100 years with Paddy Shine acting as principal from the early 1900's to 1938, Colm O'Quigley serving from 1938 to 1983 and Denis Shannon from 1983 to 2007. John Kelly has been principal since 2007. Over the years, the school has gradually expanded with an extension in 1960 and in 1980 when two extra classrooms and a multi purpose hall were added. Tinryland NS has had great sporting achievements including 5 Carlow Cumann na MBunscol Football titles and 3 Girls Schools Football Championships. The school has been consistently successful in inter schools competitions and provides a wide range of extra curricular activities. A past pupils reunion was held in 1995 with over 600 people attending. The school currently has an enrolment of 170 pupils with a teaching staff of 7.
For further information visit http://tinrylandns.ie or contact 059-9132156 or firstname.lastname@example.org