search tinryland.ie  
 :: you are here: home > history > 
About the Area
History
News
Events
Sport
Parish Info
Clubs / Groups
Links
Forums
Images
Contact Info
Heritage Map
Tinryland in 1798
Myles Walter Keogh
Electrification
St. Willibrord
Pierce Butler

TINRYLAND (Tigh an Raoireann; House of Raoire; A very ancient name of a Royal Residence)

The Tinryland area is rich in heritage and culture, with its own trove of treasures, most of which have been discovered and recorded down through the centuries. The early records show that people lived in the Tinryland area around the time 3700-3400 BC. These people would have been the first farming type people of the Neolithic Period (New Stone Age) and probably the first people to settle in the area. They farmed the land, domesticated cattle, sheep and goats, wove textiles and made pottery.

Evidence of these people was found at the ancient burial site in Linkardstown in 1943. The find consisted of a Polygonal stone chamber paved with stones that sloped upwards and inwards. Inside was found the remains of a single human, along with some pottery. The National Museum of Ireland were notified of the find and the items found were sent away for examination. This find was of immense archaeological importance and was the first burial plot of kind found in Southern Ireland.

The heritage trail finder map in Tinryland village documents the other areas of historical interest in the Tinryland area including the locations of many castles, churches and graveyards.

While the Linkardstown Church and Graveyard is now in ruins, the old stone baptismal font use at this church now stands on the grounds of St. Joseph's Church, Tinryland and dates back to the 1700's.

Ballyloo Castle, only a fragment of which remains, was home to the Kavanagh family and was built by Art Og Kavanagh of Pulmonty, King of Leinster who died in 1417. This castle was the centre for the Kavanagh's of Ballyloo until the arrival of Cromwell 200 years later. This castle was a structure of four stories high with a view of the countryside in all directions.

The site of Graiguenaspideog Castle was another Kavanagh home built in the 1400's. Rumour has it that years later those near the ruins of the castle claimed on some nights you could hear music, laughter, singing and the clinking of crystal glasses very clearly in the background.

Another area of immense historical significance mentioned is the ancient cross site of the Monastery of St. Willibrord of Luxembourg in Clonmelsh, who studied in the area for 12 years.

Nearby is Clonmelsh Church and Graveyard where the ancestors of Walt Disney and the Butler family are buried.

Pierce Butler of Garryhundon was one of the architects of the American constitution and was one of its signatories in Philadelphia in 1788. He went on to represent South Carolina at George Washington's Presidential Inauguration. He went on to become advisor to three consecutive presidents and turned down a nomination to run for the Vice-Presidency before his death in 1822.

The 1798 Commemoration Stone was erected on the main approach road to the village on the 200th anniversary of the uprising in 1998. The monument was built in honour of the locals who fought and died in the insurrection and at the battle of Carlow in May 1798.

   Not Logged In