:: you are here: home > about > facts > 
About the Area
Parish Info
Clubs / Groups
Contact Info

  • Mr Paddy Dowling native of Linkardstown, passed away in Jubilee year 2000. He was chosen as "Carlow man of the Century by the Old Carlow Society for his pioneering work in bringing electricity to rural Ireland in the 1940's. Tinryland parish was one of the first rural parishes in Ireland to be electrified and Tinryland church was the first rural church in Ireland to use electric lighting.

  • Pierce Butler of Garryhundon was one of the architects of the American constitution and was one of its signatories in Philadelphia in 1788. He went on to represent South Carolina at George Washington's Presidential Inauguration. He went on to become advisor to three consecutive presidents and turned down a nomination to run for the Vice-Presidency before his death in 1822.

  • Father Thomas Tyrrell P.P. Tinryland (1823-1846) played a very important role in Co Carlow elections of M.P.'s in the 1840's to the extent of erecting in Tinryland church a 'crib' to accommodate "the black sheep who voted Tory". A stained glass window in the church commemorates Thomas Keogh, and his wife Alice, and Lt Col. Myles Keogh from Orchard, Leighlinbridge.

  • An archaeological find in Linkardstown in the 1940's proved to indicate a stone burial plot from the period 2,500-2,000B.C. Hence such burial places are known as Linkardstown-type burials.

  • Tinryland GFC holds 15 Carlow Senior Football Titles 1934, 1936, 1939, 1940, 1943, 1944, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1971, 1972, 1975, 1979, 1981

  • The first county GAA championship match to be played in Carlow was played in Tinryland parish in 1889 at Ballybar

  • St WilliBrord (Patron saint of Luxembourg) studied in the monastery of Rathmelsigi (Clonmelsh) where he spent 12 years in the 7th century

  • In 1945 13 Tinryland footballers were on the Carlow team which defeated Cork by 4-5 to 1-7. Cork went on to win the Munster title and later beat Cavan in the All-Ireland final that year

  • The present chapel in Tinryland (formerly called Tullowmagrinagh) was built in 1819 around an old thatched church.

  • There are 8 cemeteries in the Tinryland area. Tinryland, Ballinacarrig, Staplestown, Kinock, Linkardstown, Cloghnea, Killogan and Clonmelsh where Walt Disney's ancestors are buried

  • The long stone erected in 1796 is reported to be the highest point in the townland being 100 meters above sea level.

  • Tinryland native Niamh Grogan won the 1992 Rose of Tralee competition representing Galway where she was working at the time.

   Not Logged In